Asparagus and Fontina Bake
Here's a great recipe to make for breakfast or brunch that takes very little hands-on time.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 48 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 18 minutes
- 4 cups Stew's Sourdough Bread, cut into large cubes
- 2 Tbsp. Stew's 100% Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 small Onion, diced
- Stew's Kosher Salt
- Stew's Fine Ground Black Pepper
- 5oz. Baby Portabella Mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 8 Stew's Naked Cage-Free Eggs
- 2 cups Stew's Whole Milk
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- Grated zest of one Lemon
- 1 1/2 cups grated Fontina Cheese
- 3/4 lb. fresh Asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Prepare a 13x9-inch baking dish with vegetable oil cooking spray.
Spread the bread cubes in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned, 6 – 8 minutes. Let cool.
In a skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for about 2 minutes until softened.
Add the mushrooms and cook until golden brown and tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, lemon zest, and cheese until well-combined. Season with a pinch of pepper.
Add the bread cubes to the baking dish then add the mushrooms and asparagus.
Pour the milk mixture over the bread mixture. Let stand for about 20 minutes.
Bake until egg mixture is set and top of the casserole is golden brown, about 25-30 minutes. Cover with foil if bread starts to get too dark.