FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Meghan Bell
PICKING THE PERFECT CHRISTMAS TREE AT STEW’S
NORWALK, CONN., November 10, 2023 –Starting November 24, Stew Leonard’s will receive daily shipments of fresh, hand-sheared Christmas trees from family-owned tree farms found just 25 miles north of the U.S. border in the province of Quebec, Canada - the best environment to grow hearty Christmas trees. Every customer buying their tree at Stew’s receives a complimentary fresh cut and will have their tree tied to their car. Plus, they’ll feel great knowing that our family-owned tree farmers will plant two trees for every one that is cut down.
“Stew Leonard’s seven stores will sell more than 50,000 Christmas trees this season and we will have plenty of fresh-cut trees for our customers,” notes Stew Leonard, Jr., president & CEO of Stew Leonard’s. “The most popular weekend for tree sales at Stew’s is Thanksgiving weekend. If you’re buying your tree that early, just don’t forget to keep your tree watered and away from any heat so that it stays fresh for Christmas Day!”
Which Tree Should I Buy?
There are a few main questions that customers should ask themselves before purchasing their Christmas tree: What is the ceiling height in the room where it will be displayed? Do you hang heavy ornaments? Do you want a fragrant tree? Knowing the answers to those questions will make it even easier for customers to find their perfect tree.
Stew Leonard’s sells two types of premium Christmas trees:
- Stew’s BEST SELLER! Sturdy branches for heavier ornaments, dark green needles, good fragrance.
- Great needle retention.
- Ranges in height from 5’ to 8’+.
- Our most fragrant tree.
- Dense, strong branches and a dark green color.
- Ranges in height from 4’ – 8’.
Steps for picking and enjoying the perfect tree
To keep your tree looking great this holiday season, here are Stew Leonard’s five tips for selecting and caring for your Christmas tree:
- Stew Leonard’s tree experts recommend buying a tree that is one foot shorter than your ceiling to allow enough room to top the tree with a star or angel.
- To check freshness, remove a needle and bend it in half. If the needle gives but doesn’t snap, the tree is fresh!
- Before taking your tree home, get a fresh cut of at least ½-inch to 1-inch to eliminate the heaviest build-up of sap and make sure it has full bark so it is easier for the tree to take up water in the stand. Also make sure to get the bottom branches trimmed to allow for at least six-inches of the trunk to stand comfortably in the tree stand.
- Customers should never shave the bark off their tree; the tree “drinks” through the bark. Stew’s tree experts also recommend adding Stew’s Miracle Tree to the tree stand, which is a special formula developed with their growers that replenishes the tree’s nutrients immediately. Simply fill the tree stand with one part Stew’s Miracle Tree and two parts warm water.
- When you get home, place your tree away from a heat source and direct sunlight and keep your tree hydrated with Stew’s Miracle Tree and plenty of water. This is especially important for those putting their tree up earlier this year.
Wreaths & Roping
Stew’s Christmas Shoppe offers a variety of roping and wreaths in both decorated and undecorated options. Customers can choose from wreaths made from Balsam or mixed Oregon Greens (selection will vary by store). Roping is offered in White Pine, Western Cedar, and Boxwood and comes in a variety of lengths. Here are Stew Leonard’s top three tips for selecting and caring for your wreaths and roping:
- To decorate a fence line, choose roping at least 25 yards in length.
- To decorate a doorway, choose roping at least 6 yards in length.
- When using wreaths and roping indoors, customers should spritz water on their greenery periodically throughout the season to keep them looking fresh.
Stew Leonard’s Christmas Shoppe sells a variety of lights, ornaments, and decorations to help deck the halls. Here are Stew Leonard’s top three tips for selecting the right holiday lights for your tree:
- Stew’s tree experts recommend buying about 100 lights per foot of tree.
- For customers looking to update their old Christmas tree lights, LED lights have become an increasingly popular option. LED lights are brighter than incandescent, use less electricity and give customers the option of attaching more strands per run (exactly how many strands that can be connected will depend upon the manufacturer).
- Cool White LED lights will lend a bluish tone while Warm White and Multicolor LED lights will give off a look closer to incandescent bulbs.
About Stew Leonard's
Stew Leonard's, a family-owned and operated fresh food store founded in 1969, has seven stores in Norwalk, Danbury, and Newington, Conn.; in East Meadow, Farmingdale and Yonkers, N.Y.; and in Paramus, N.J. An eighth store will open in Clifton, N.J. in 2024. Stew's earned its nickname, the "Disneyland of Dairy Stores" because of its country-fair atmosphere, with costumed characters and animated entertainment throughout the store that keep children entertained while parents shop. Stew Leonard's legion of loyal shoppers is largely due to the stores' passionate approach to customer service: "Rule #1 -- The Customer is Always Right"; Rule #2 - If the Customer is Ever Wrong, Re-Read Rule #1." This principle is so essential to the foundation of the company that it is etched in a three-ton granite rock at each store's entrance. The company's culture is built around an acronym for S.T.E.W.: Satisfy the customer; Teamwork gets it done; Excellence makes it better; WOW makes it fun. For more information, visit Stew Leonard's website at www.stewleonards.com.
# # #