Chicken Pesto Penne
For a quick weeknight meal, it's hard to beat a comforting dish of chicken and pasta. This recipe works with any shape pasta, which pretty much guarantees that you'll already have in your cupboard. Add fresh pesto and a good handful of grated Parmesan Cheese and you'll create a family dinner that comes together in 30 minutes or less!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 package (16oz.) Stew's Dried Penne Rigate, cooked. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta cooking water
- 1/2 cup Stew's Grated Parmesan Cheese, packed
- 1.5 lbs. Stew's Naked Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 3/4 tsp. Stew's Kosher Salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp. Stew's Fine Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Stew's Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Stew's Freshly Chopped Garlic
- 1 cup Stew's Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Stew's Basil Pesto Sauce
- 5 oz. Baby Spinach
- 1 small bunch Basil, for garnish
Bring 4-6 quarts of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta. Return to a boil and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes or until desired doneness. Remove from heat and drain.
Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels and cut into 1-inch cubes.
Season the chicken all over with ½ teaspoon of the salt and the black pepper.
In a large high-sided skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat until shimmering.
Add the chicken in a single layer and cook, turning occasionally, until cooked through and browned on both sides, about 5-8 minutes in total.
Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
Add the heavy cream, basil pesto, remaining salt, and reserved pasta water. Stir to combine.
Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened slightly, 6 – 8 minutes.
Add the Parmesan and pasta to the pan and toss to combine. Add the baby spinach by the handful and cook until slightly wilted. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.