The Big Stew Burger
Check out our recipe for The Big Stew Burger that took home the bronze at a recent burger competition. We took our juicy ribeye burger and topped it with garlic-aioli, sharp Cheddar cheese, and a big helping of caramelized onions to create a WOW experience!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 4 Stew Leonard’s Ribeye Patties
- Stew Leonard’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1-2 Vidalia Onions, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Brandy
- Pinch of Stew's Kosher Salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. Stew’s Freshly Chopped Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Stew's Fine Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Squeeze of Lemon Juice
- 4 slices Stew’s Premium Bacon
- Stew’s Ultimate Steakhouse Seasoning, to taste
- 4 slices New York Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 4 pieces Bibb Lettuce
- 4 Tomato slices
- 4 Stew Leonard’s Brioche Buns, toasted on the grill
Coat the bottom of a wide pot or sauté pan with olive oil. Heat pan on medium heat until oil is shimmering. Add the onion and stir to coat with the oil. Spread the onions out evenly over the bottom of the pan and let cook. Stir every few minutes. After 10 minutes, sprinkle a small amount of salt over the onions. One trick to keeping the onions from drying out as they cook is to add a little water to the pan. Deglaze the pan with the apple cider vinegar and brandy. Continue to cook until the onions are a rich, browned color and apple cider vinegar and brandy has cooked off.
To make the sauce: In a medium bowl, add the mayonnaise, garlic, and lemon juice. Mix well then season to taste with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
Cook the bacon in a nonstick pan until crisp and let drain on paper towels.
Heat a gas grill to high (450°F – 500°F). Sprinkle the burgers with the steakhouse seasoning. Place on the grill and cook 4-5 minutes per side depending on desired doneness. Add cheese slices to each burger 1 minute after flipping.
Spoon the sauce over each of the bottom buns. Layer on the lettuce and tomato slices. Place a burger on each bottom bun and top with the caramelized onions, bacon, and top bun.