Three Cheese Mac 'n Cheese
Here’s an easy, simple, and tasty side dish your family will love. It only takes 20 minutes to make from start to finish. This recipe is super cheesy and rich. If you prefer your cheese sauce on the thinner side, reserve some of the hot pasta water to thin out the sauce without compromising its flavor.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1lb. Stew's Organic Pasta Shells
- 1 Tbsp. Stew's Kosher Salt
- 4 Tbsp. Stew's Farm Fresh Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 4 cups Stew's Whole Milk, divided
- 2 1/3 cups finely shredded Stew's Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Stew's Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon Stew's Ground Nutmeg, optional
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions.
Pour into a colander drain well. Transfer pasta to a large bowl.
While pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a 4-qt. pot over medium heat. With a wooden spoon, stir in the flour. Stir until mixture is smooth. Whisk in ½ the milk and stir until no lumps remain. Whisk in the remaining milk until sauce is smooth. Bring to a simmer and whisk until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Add in the Cheddar, Gruyere, and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Stir with a wooden spoon until cheese thoroughly melted and sauce is smooth. If using, stir in the nutmeg until well-mixed.
Remove sauce from the heat and pour over the drained pasta. Stir gently until pasta is thoroughly coated with the cheese sauce. Serve warm.